Zorica Grujic ::: Toronto Real Estate Agent

Sutton Group Realty Systems Inc. Brokerage

Independently owned and operated

2186 Bloor Street West , Toronto ON, M6S 1N3

Call Me Direct: 416-704-5802

Office: 416-762-4200

Book Showing: 416-704-5802

Along the Danforth in Toronto

 

The communities along Danforth Avenue in Toronto are known  for delicious food, entertaining theatre, pubs, cafés and and exclusive shops and services. It is supposed to be home to the largest Greektown in North America. 
 
Located just east of the Don Valley along Danforth Avenue it is easily accessible by several subway stops starting from Broadview all the way to Warden. 

To see properties available along the Danforth area, please click here.  

Contact Zorica about Danforth area listings or any listing needs using the form below or simply call 416-704-5802.
 
Taste of the Danforth
 
Taste of the DanforthTaste of the Danforth is a yearly festival held in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in the Greektown area along Danforth Avenue for a period of three days in August, spawned from the Taste of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois, United States. Started in 1994, it celebrates Greek food and culture every second weekend in August. Past attendance numbers have reached as high as one million people over the three day event. Approximately 2 kilometres of Danforth Avenue is closed from Broadview Avenue to past Jones Avenue for the festival.
 

Carrot Common - 348 Danforth Ave 
 
Captain George Playter, (a Loyalist officer), was granted lots totalling 500 acres in York Township, including some around the Danforth. The site of Carrot Common was part of the original grant to the Playter family in the late 18th century, who were among the earliest settlers in Toronto. John Lea Playter built a grand, three-storey brick house on the northeast corner of Danforth and Jackman Avenues, later torn down and replaced with a used car lot. 
 
Carrot Common near Danforth and ChesterW.S. Giles opened one of the area's first car dealerships in 1919, and built another showroom in 1926 nearby. It wasn't long before entrepreneurs followed suit and there was a car lot on nearly every block along Danforth Ave. in the 1950s, it was used car lots. Giles' location remained a car dealership until about 1982. 
 
The Big Carrot Natural Food Market, a natural food store and co-op business was founded in 1984, across the street from it's current location at Danforth and Hampton. They acquired the current site and the following year in October 1987, they along with other partners, opened the Carrot Common, named in tribute to the mall's most famous tenant (The Big Carrot Natural Food Market). This shopping center has over 15 stores and many offices and is a central and popular meeting place on the Danforth today. 
 

The Danforth BIA
The Danforth BIA composed of 350+ shops, restaurants and services along Danforth Ave. from Broadview Ave. to Hampton Ave. and along Broadview Ave. north to Pretoria Ave., and south to Dearborne Ave. works to promote and provide an urban destination neighbourhood for delicious food, entertaining theatre, lively pubs, romantic cafés and distinctive shops and services.
 
Viist their website: http://www.thedanforth.ca
 
To see propoerties available along the Danforth area, please click here.
 
 
Danforth History
 
Danforth and Broadview in the 1920sDanforth Avenue was quite an undertaking when it was first proposed by the government of Upper Canada in the late 18th century. 
 
More than a road, the extension was intended to be a highway that would connect the City of York to the east. Danforth Avenue was named for contractor Asa Danforth, who built Queen Street and Kingston Road, and started work in 1799. It was officially built by the Don and Danforth Plank Road Company in 1851 to Broadview Avenue, as well as connecting to Queen Street East and Kingston Road. 
 
Originally, Asa Danforth had been told to build a highway that would stretch from the Don River to the Bay of Quinte, but the province of Upper Canada was impatient at the delays, due to some harsh winters that interupted the work. Danforth abandoned the uncompleted project and returned to the U.S. the following year. 
 
One area that benefited from Danforth's development early on was the Village of Chester, which lay on the western end of the highway where Danforth & Chester Ave. now sits. Development slowly began, with small businesses, taverns and shops opening up into the late 1880s. By the First World War, the area had quickly shifted from rural to commercial. 


Contact Zorica about Danforth area listings or any listing needs using the form below or simply call 416-704-5802.
 

 

Please enter the numbers found on the right.

Powered by Lone Wolf Real Estate Technologies (CMS6)